Cyber Monday shopping is in full swing at our house. Although, I can’t figure out why they’ve limited it to just one day. My Cyber Monday started a week ago and lasts right up until Christmas Eve!
Here are some of the online stores I’m shopping at this year, and what I’m buying (shhh, don’t tell my husband and kids what they are getting!), and my checklist to make sure I get a good deal on each of my purchases.
Shopping Online for Holiday Gifts
Cyber Monday sales aren’t limited to the big stores anymore. Lots of online boutiques now showcase holiday deals. Here are some of my favorites.
- Giant Wall Stencils. We finally finished painting the kids’ rooms, thanks to Giant Wall Stencils. They’re offering a sale today, just in time to paint your tikes room for a holiday surprise; you can get 20% off through Wednesday with the coupon code: cybermonday. Where else can you get designer kids rooms with do-it-yourself prices? (If you want to see our kids’ rooms, check out the rocket ship and the lady bugs, butterflies, and flowers.)
- For the Kids. For the kids in my family, they’re all getting a few more 529 College Advantage accounts to take advantage of the fantastic sign up bonuses. They’re also getting Smarty Pig accounts to encourage them to save on their own.
- eBay. I mentioned earlier we were selling some stuff on eBay, but what are we buying? My husband really wants a dart board for his bar in the basement. Not just any dart board, but one you would find at a bar. eBay seems like the only place I can find one, unless anyone else knows a bar that’s going out of business. I usually find every year that eBay is the place to score the specific, unique gifts online.
- Snapfish. We’re using Snapfish for holiday cards this year, since it’s so much cheaper than having them made at the portrait studio. Check out the Snapfish holiday card deals.
My Amazon Obsession
I have to admit that probably 80% of my holiday shopping is now done at Amazon. Besides the unique gifts, almost everything else I can get on Amazon, and have it shipped right to my door. Here are some of my tips for finding great deals at Amazon.
- Amazon Lightening. All weekend long, I’ve been checking out the Amazon Cyber Monday deals. Every couple hours there are new “lightening” deals. The toy category has been open on our laptop all weekend to catch the sales.
- Holiday Toy List. The Holiday Toy List is one of my favorite places to find holiday shopping ideas for the kids.
- Amazon Prime. Don’t forget to use a free trial of Amazon Prime for free shipping. You won’t have to worry about the size of each order, and each gift will ship quickly.
- Amazon Gift Cards. I sent out an Amazon Gift Card earlier this month and was excited to get my own $5 gift card. Sure enough, Amazon had sent out a promotional email that you get $5 off a future order when you buy a $50 Amazon Gift Card by December 1, 2009.
Online Shopping Checklist
For each purchase I make online, I run through my quick checklist to make sure I’m getting a good price, with the best coupons and shipping, and the maximum cash back. Here’s my checklist:
- Bargain Sites. Keep an eye on Fatwallet and Slickdeals to see what’s on sale.
- Coupon Sites. Check out Retail Me Not to find the best coupon.
- Free Shipping. Review the free shipping resources for holiday shopping.
- Cash Back Sites. Purchase using Mr. Rebates or other Cash Back Programs to maximize the money back.
- Earn Credit Card Rewards. Make the purchase on a Cash Back Credit Card.
- Deadlines. Be sure to check the Christmas Shipping Deadlines and place your order in time.
When it’s all done, I’m pleased that I got a great deal, in addition to being able to give someone a great gift!