Here’s another great Free Money Friday travel deal from Citi and Hilton!
Citi is currently offering 40,000 bonus points when you sign up for the Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card.
How to Get Your Free Hilton Nights
- Sign up for the Citi Hilton HHonors Visa.
- Spend $1,000 in purchases within the first 4 months of opening the account.
- Receive 40,000 Hilton HHonors Bonus Points!
Citi Terms and Conditions
- No annual fee.
- No cap on HHonors Points.
- Points will appear on your account 4-6 weeks after you’ve met the purchase requirements.
More on Hilton
Earning Points. Earn 6 HHonors Bonus points per $1 spent at Hilton hotels; 3 HHonors Bonus points per $1 spent at supermarkets, drugstores & gas stations; Earn 2 HHonors Bonus Points per $1 spent on all other purchases.
Keep Points Active. Your Points never expire as long as you use your card at least once every 12 months.
Hilton Silver Status. Retain HHonors Silver status for as long as you remain a Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature cardmember.
Weekend Nights. This card is the no annual fee version of the Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve card. If you need free weekend nights at hotels in a higher category, you may want to look into the Reserve card with the annual fee.
As part of our Spring Break travel series we highlighted hotel rewards. If you didn’t find your hotel on the first list, here are more hotel rewards programs to explore.
You can earn points with hotel rewards programs to earn discounts and free nights simply by staying at the hotel.
How to Earn Points and Free Nights with Hotel Rewards covered Hilton, Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Wyndham Resorts and Club Carlson hotel rewards programs. Here are the rest of the hotel rewards programs, which hotels are included, and how it works.
Best Western Rewards
- Hotels included: Best Western, Best Western Plus, Best Western Premier
- How to sign up: Visit their website to sign up for free.
- How it works: Earn 10 points for every U.S. dollar spent at Best Western or earn points for their airline partners or other partners.
- What else you get: As a rewards member, you also have the opportunity to participate in various promotions throughout the year.
- Hotels included: La Quinta Inn & Suites
- How to sign up: Visit their website to sign up.
- How it works: Earn La Quinta Returns for every dollar spent at any La Quinta Inn & Suites. Points earn you free nights.
- What else you get: Besides earning free nights, you’ll also get express check-in or a late check-out when available. You have access to the members only number for reservations or any other questions or issues you have.
Priority Club Rewards
- Hotels Included: Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Holiday Inn Resort, Candlewood, Staybridge Suites, Hotel Indigo, InterContinental, Crowne Plaza
- How to sign up: Register at Priority Club Rewards.
- How it works: Earn points by staying at hotels or shopping at participating partners.
- What else you get: Besides free nights, you can use your points for products, entertainment, and more.
Best Rest Rewards
- Hotels Included: America’s Best Inn & Suites, Budgetel Inn & Suites, Palms Hotels & Resorts, Country Hearth Inn & Suites
- How to sign up: Fill out an application on their website.
- How it works: Earn points for free nights.
- What else you get: You will also be able to take part in special promotions throughout the year.
- Hotels Included: Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Quality, Sleep Inn, Clarion, Cambria Suites, MainStay Suites, Suburban, EconoLodge, Rodeway Inn, Ascend
- How to sign up: Visit Choice Privileges to fill out an application.
- How it works: You earn 10 points for every US dollar spent at Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Quality, Sleep Inn, Clarion, Cambria Suites, and Ascend Collection. You earn 5 points for every US dollar spent at Suburban, Econo Lodge, MainStay Suites, and Rodeway Inn.
- What else you get: You can also use your points for rewards for airlines, dining, and other purchases. You also get express reservations and check-in and extended check-out.
- Hotels Included: Red Roof Inn
- How to sign up: Sign up for Redicard on their website.
- How it works: For every dollar you spend at a Red Roof Inn, you get 10 RediCard points. Free night certificates are mailed to your home. They do expire so be sure to know when they are good until.
- What else you get: Express check-in, free USA today delivered to your door, courtesy hold for late arrival.
Hotel rewards are easy ways to earn free nights and save money on hotels. If you are exploring hotel rewards, be sure to read Things to Keep in Mind with Hotel Rewards for tips on earning, redeeming and tracking points.
More Ways to Save on Hotels
If your Spring Break plans include staying at a hotel, make sure you are earning points and hotel rewards!
One of the best and easiest ways to save money on hotels is to join a hotel or a hotel group’s reward program. In almost every case, it is completely free to join. Points add up and can allow you to stay completely for free simply by staying at the property.
In addition, many hotels let you earn free nights if you use the hotel branded credit card. Here are a list of a few popular hotel rewards programs, which hotels are included, how it works and which card is associated with the hotel.
Photo Courtesy: Kristen
- Hotels Included: Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn, Waldorf Astoria, Conrad, Double Tree, Embassy Suites, Hampton, Homewood Suites
- How to sign up: Visit Hilton HHonors website.
- How it works: You earn 10 points for every US dollar spent on your room, including money you spend on room service and telephone calls.
- What else you get: You also get quick check-ins, late check out, and express check-out.
- Hotel credit card to earn free nights: Citi Hilton HHonors Visa.
- Hotels included: Westin, aLoft, Le Méridien, Four Points, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, Sheraton, St Regis, Element
- How to sign up: Sign up by filling out information at their website.
- How it works: Earn points by staying at participating hotels. You can also earn double or triple points for staying at specific places throughout Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. You can also use your points for room upgrades or airline miles as well.
- What else you get: You can get a percentage off your stay and complimentary breakfasts pending where you stay.
- Hotel credit card to earn free nights: Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express.
- Hotels included: Marriot Hotel & Resorts, AC Hotels, JW Marriot, Courtyard Marriot, The Ritz Carlton, Edition, Autograph Collection Hotels, Renaissance, Fairfield Inn & Suites, Springhill Suites Marriot, Residence Inn, Towne Place Suites, Marriot Vacation Club, Gaylord Hotels
- How to sign up: Visit their website for more information about the program and to sign up today.
- How it works: Earn points for your qualified stay at participating hotels. You can also earn up to 50,000 points when you refer friends.
- What else you get: You are also qualified for specials and members-only rates and promotions every day. And you are eligible for deals from their partner companies like Hertz as well.
- Hotel credit card to earn free nights: Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card.
Hyatt Gold Passport
- Hotels included: Hyatt, Park Hyatt, Andaz, Grand Hyatt, Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, Hyatt Residence Club
- How to sign up: Create an account by visiting their website.
- How it works: Earn points by staying at participating hotels. You earn five points for every eligible dollar spent. These points then can be converted to free nights with no blackout dates or other purchases.
- What else you get: Besides free nights, you can also redeem your points at participating dining and spas. Check for a list of participating spas and restaurants where you’ll earn points simply for spending money there. You can also earn a free rental car through Avis with 6,000 points or by traveling with their partner companies. Platinum membership allows complimentary in-room internet access and Diamond membership allows four suite upgrades annually.
- Hotel credit card to earn free nights: Hyatt Credit Card from Chase.
- Hotels included: Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, Wyndham Grand Collection, Wyndham Garden, Wyndham Garden, Tryp, Wungate, Hawthorn, Microtel, Dream, Ramada, Baymont, Days Inn, Super 8, Howards Johnson, Travelodge, Knights Inn
- How to sign up: Simply fill in your information at their website and choose if you’d like to earn Wyndham Reward Points or points with airline or rail points.
- How it works: Earn points for staying at the hotel. You earn one free night for every 20 nights you stay at a participating property. You can also earn points by shopping with participating partners like Avis, Budget, Alamo, National, LifeLock, and FTD Flowers.
- What else you get: You’ll also get the chance to participate in promotions offered throughout the year.
- Hotel credit card to earn free nights: Wyndham Rewards Visa.
- Hotels included: Radisson, Radisson Bly, Park Plaza, Park Inn Radisson, Country Inn and Suites
- How to sign up: Sign up and learn more about the program by visiting Club Carlson’s website.
- How it works: For every eligible U.S. dollar spent, you receive 20 Gold Points. You can also earn points for any food or beverages charged to your room. Starting at 9,000 points, you can start earning free nights with no black out dates on standard rooms.
- What else you get: You also get free internet service for members at hotels worldwide. You get elite status starting at 15 nights or 10 stays per year. Elite status earns you complimentary room upgrades, elite customer service line, early check in, and late check out. If you earn Gold or Concierge, you can earn free continental breakfasts and an in-room welcome gift.
- Hotel credit card to earn free nights: Club Carlson Visa.
Things to Keep in Mind with Hotel Rewards
- Every hotel and hotel reward program is different so be sure you know how each program works and what you have to do to earn points and use points.
- Some points can only be used on certain days, at certain properties, or they may expire so read the fine print.
- I was puzzled when I didn’t receive points for a stay at a Hilton in New York. I realized I didn’t earn any points for that hotel stay because I booked through Hotels.com instead. So keep in mind, if you book through deal sites like Expedia, Hotels.com, Groupon, or any other non-direct site, you might not earn the points.
- Be a broken record about being a rewards member. I let it be known when I make the reservation, when I check-in, and when I’m checking out. This is important for a few reasons. First and foremost, so you are getting the points for that stay. Second, being a rewards member entitles you to little perks and upgrades.
- Along those same lines, know what’s included with being a rewards member. When I checked into a Holiday Inn in New Hampshire, they greeted me with a few beverages, snacks, and local coupon books. It may not be much, but it is a little something.
- Keep track of your account information. When you sign up, you may be mailed a card to use. But also keep track of your account number, pin number, and the e-mail address you used to create the account. This is important to claim your points.
- Keep track of your points. After you stay at a hotel, you may instantly get points credited to your account for future stays. Other programs may take up to 8 weeks to post points. Make sure you know how many points you earned for each stay, and keep an eye out for them. I am lucky I kept track of my point because I realized a few months later I was 1,000 points short of what it should have been. I simply called customer service and was able to fix the problem.
- Explore other ways to earn. This past summer, I rented a car through Budget. I was able to give my Priority Club Rewards number, and I earned points towards free stays with that car rental. Most reward programs have partner companies where if you shop with them, you can earn points. Everything from clothing, restaurants, airlines, and even booking a cruise, can earn you points.
- As I mentioned earlier, another way to earn rewards points very easily is to sign up for a credit card through them. Many hotel reward programs also offer a credit card where you earn points with every qualifying purchase made on that card. You might also earn double or triple points when you are charging a room stay with that card. For signing up, you can also be offered a ton of points of up to six free nights. Of course, just like with any credit card, be sure to understand the terms and conditions, interest rates, fees associated, and use it wisely.
- Even if a hotel doesn’t have a reward program, sign up for e-mail alerts. You might get coupons, information on promotions, or even a percentage off for being on their e-mail list.
Stay tuned for more hotel rewards programs including Best Western, La Quinta, Priority Club Rewards, Best Rest Rewards, Choice Privileges and Redicard.
Do you enroll in hotel rewards programs? If you are a hotel reward member, what has your experience been like?
More Ways to Save on Hotels
We have another great travel offer for this week’s Free Money Friday! Marriott is offering a 50,000 point sign-up bonus that’s easy and could be worth anywhere from 1-7 nights at Marriott locations worldwide!
How to Get Your Sign Up Bonus
- Sign up for the Marriott Rewards Premier credit card.
- Spend $1,000 in your first 3 months.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points + one free night in a Category 1-4 hotel!
Chase Terms and Conditions
- $85 annual fee (waived first year).
- Free night E-Certificate must be redeemed within 6 months from date of issue.
- First time customers only.
- First purchase does not include using your account for balance transfers or cash advances, or checks.
- Points & free night may take 6-8 weeks to be deposited into your account.
More on Marriott Rewards
No foreign transaction fees. If you’re doing any traveling abroad, this is a must-have in a card. In fact, it should easily compensate for most of a year’s annual fee.
Earning points. You earn 5 points per dollar spent at Marriott locations, 2 points per dollar on airline purchases, car rentals & restaurants and 1 point per dollar everywhere else!
Elite status. You earn 15 nights of credit towards elite status every year that your account is open (automatic Silver status) & earn 1 elite credit for every $3,000 spent with the card! Elite status gives you things like earning bonuses on stays, gift shop discounts, free internet, late checkout and more.
More Marriott points. If you’re looking for a lower annual fee or want to try to double up on points, don’t forget that the Marriott Rewards card offers a 30,000 point bonus with a $45 annual fee after the first year!
UPDATE: This offer has expired. Please see our Hotel Rewards section for other offers.
I recently had a chance to take advantage of this offer for 2 free nights from Hyatt and it saved me over $600!
The two free nights at the Hyatt continues our Free Money week celebration!
How to Get Your 2 Free Nights
- Apply for the Hyatt from Chase.
- Use the card once.
- Receive two free award nights at any Hyatt anywhere in the world!
Chase Terms and Conditions
- $75 annual fee.
- One-time bonus offer.
- After qualifying, allow 10 days for your free nights to post to your Hyatt Gold Passport account.
- Valid only for first-time Hyatt Credit Card cardmembers with new accounts.
More on Chase / Hyatt
Blackout Dates. Hyatt says no blackout dates but I did have a bit of trouble booking my rooms initially because no standard rooms were available. However, I called the Hyatt back a week later and the rooms had opened up so I was able to switch the reservation. Just something to keep in mind if you’re making reservations a bit last minute, as I was…
Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum Membership. As long as you are a cardmember, you’ll receive this Hyatt Platinum membership perk. The card also allows you to earn 3 points/dollar when used at Hyatt properties & 1 point/dollar everywhere else.
No foreign transaction fees. No foreign transaction fees are a great perk for people who travel often or who are taking a big trip abroad where those pesky fees will really add up.
How much I saved! The two rooms I needed to book for a wedding were $299/night + tax. Even after the $75 annual fee, I came out way ahead! Hyatt hotels can be pricey so some of you may think this card isn’t useful but I disagree – $75 for two nights at any hotel is pretty great and weddings, honeymoons, etc. may make the savings even more relevant for you.
Not Staying at a Hyatt?
If your travel plans don’t include a Hyatt, you can check out the other hotel credit card bonuses to find the hotels you need:
Ready for another Free Money Friday travel offer? Now that you have all of your free flights squared away, it’s time to focus on the hotels. The Starwood Preferred Guest card is offering 25,000 Starpoints (2 free nights).
How to Get Your 25,000 Starpoints
- Apply for the Starwood Preferred Guest card.
- Earn 10,000 Starpoints after first use.
- Earn 15,000 more points when you spend $5,000 in the first six months.
- Redeem for 2 free nights at a Category 5 hotel.
American Express Starwood Terms and Conditions
- Annual fee is $65 but the first year is free.
- You can redeem Starpoints for free hotel nights or for free flights.
- No blackout dates.
More on Starwood Card
Hotel List. Last time I redeemed my Starpoints we used our points at a W Hotel and the Westin. Starwood hotels also include St. Regis, The Luxury Collection, Le Meridien, Sheraton, AloftSM, ElementSM, Four Points by Sheraton, and over 1,000 more.
Earning Starpoints. Earn 5 Starpoints per dollar at Starwood hotels (2 Starpoints per dollar spent on the Card, 2 Starpoints as an SPG member, and 1 Starpoint with SPG Gold or Platinum status). You earn 1 Starpoint everywhere else.
Starwood Business Card
In addition to the personal Starwood Preferred Guest card, you can also get a Business Starwood Preferred Guest Card. The bonus is the same as the personal card.
In the past, when American Express has offered a bonus on their personal and business cards, I applied for both at the same time and got both bonuses. So you could potentially get 60,000 Starpoints if you choose to do both.