We’ve stayed at some amazing Starwood properties during ski vacations and in Disney World to get free trips. I thought the days of huge Starwood points were over.
However, the recent merger between Marriott and Starwood means you can now transfer points between them. (3 Marriott points = 1 Starwood point).
All of a sudden, the sign up bonuses on the Marriott credit cards became very appealing! The Marriott card from Chase offers an 80,000 point sign up bonus.
It’s our Free Money offer this week.
How to Get Your Sign Up Bonus
- Apply for the Marriott Rewards Premier* card.
- Earn 80,000 points after you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months.
- Earn 7,500 more bonus points when you add an authorized user (and make a purchase).
- Redeem your 80,000 points for multiple free nights at Marriott or Starwood hotels.
*Find and compare all current credit card offers in our credit card directory.
Terms and Conditions
- $85 annual fee.
- This product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of this credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of this credit card who received a new cardmember bonus for this credit card within the last 24 months.
- No foreign transaction fees.
More on Marriott and Chase
Earning Points. You will earn 5 points per dollar at Marriott, 2 points per dollar on airlines, car rentals and restaurants and 1 point everywhere else. You will also get a free night (category 1-5) every year after your anniversary date.
Starwood and Marriott. You can now link your Starwood and Marriott accounts and transfer the points between them. 80,000 points will become 26,666 Starwood points.
5/24 Rule. The 5/24 rule (5 new cards in the last 24 months), or the Chase rule that they will not approve you for another Chase card if you’ve opened 5 new cards in the last two years with any issuer (not just Chase) appears to apply to the Marriott personal card. However, it does not seem to apply to the business version!
Business Version. There’s also a business version of the card with the same 80,000 point offer (but with a $99 annual fee). When you are viewing the application for the personal card, scroll down until you find “Business Owner? Learn about our Marriott Rewards Premier Business Credit Card.” It’s tiny, but it will take you to the 80,000 point bonus offer.