How to Claim Your Home Buyer Tax Credit

Posted by Madison on February 2, 2010

Whether you are claiming the tax credit for existing homeowners or the tax credit for first time home buyers, it’s time to get your money!

How to Claim your Home Buyer Tax Credit

The IRS released the updated Form 5405 to claim your tax credit. Complete and attach Form 5405 to your 2009 tax return.

Required Documentation

For your 2009 tax return, you’ll need to include the required documentation:

  • Attach a copy of your settlement statement.
  • A copy of your retail sales contract for mobile homes.
  • A copy of your certificate of occupancy for a newly constructed home.

In addition, for existing home owners, attach a 1098 form, Mortgage Interest Statement, property tax records, or homeowner’s insurance records for 5 consecutive years on your previous home.

Get your biggest tax refund, guaranteed. Plus FREE Expert Tax Advice. File your Federal tax return for FREE today with TurboTax!

You can get my latest articles full of valuable tips and other information delivered directly to your email for free simply by entering your email address below. Your address will never be sold or used for spam and you can unsubscribe at any time.


Comments to How to Claim Your Home Buyer Tax Credit

  1. We are currently working on this and the IRS asked us for copies of drivers license with new address on them and checking account statements (with new ADDRESS) as well.


    • @ Ken Did you file your return and they came back with that request?


  2. We heard a rumor that you need to have residence in the state that you purchased a 2nd home to be eligible for this tax credit. We own a home in MN and have residence there. This home we are purchasing is in AZ. Do we still qualify?

    Sue Kness

  3. My daughter bought her first home 3/30/2010. Does she file her forms with her 2010 income taxes since she had already done her 2009 taxes?

    nita basner

    • Nita,
      Either one. She can choose to wait until she files her 2010 return or she can amend her tax return for 2009 to claim the credit.

      If she amends her 2009 return, she’ll get the credit much sooner.

      To claim a credit in 2009 for a home purchased in 2010, check box F on form 5405.


Previous article: «
Next article: »