It’s time to efile! Since many tax forms are delayed this year, a lot of taxpayers are just getting their final documents.
And of course, while I’m still waiting on a few more forms, many of you finally have everything you need to e file your tax return.
Let’s check out all the free efile options for your federal return to get your taxes done and on their way to the IRS!
Free EFile Tax Return Options
- TurboTax. TurboTax offers a free online edition available at TurboTax Online. The turbo tax efile includes free e-filing for forms 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ. TurboTax is one of the most popular tax software packages around and it integrates with Quicken. I’m planning to use the free TurboTax software to file free tax returns for my kids this year.
- H&R Block. H&R Block is offering a free edition if you want to prepare your return online. It also includes free e-filing. I used the H&R Block tax software for many years when it was called TaxCut. The federal efile is available for forms 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ. It’s available at H&R Block Free Efile.
- TaxAct. You can prepare, print, and e-file your return for free. TaxAct offers an online version or a download version of their software at TaxAct. I used the download version of their software a few years ago, and I was pleased. The selling point for the free Tax Act is the inclusion of Schedule C, for the self employed, in their free tax efile.
- IRS Free File. The IRS Free File program is an IRS partnership with various tax software companies offering free filing. There is an income limit of $57,000 or less AGI for the irs.gov efile.
- IRS Free File Fillable Forms. The IRS Free File Fillable Forms is not a free tax software, but blank forms. However, there are no income limitations. You pick the forms you need, fill in the numbers, and e-file for free. If you know what you are doing, the IRS efile is a great option!
- CompleteTax. You can efile your basic tax return for free at CompleteTax. Like most of the other software packages, they charge additional fees for the state return.
Free Tax Preparation
All of the options to efile taxes free are great. However, if you are like many people, including most of my friends and family, you really just want someone else to prepare and efile taxes for you. The great news is that there are various options for free tax preparation. In addition, these programs usually offer free state efile too.
- VITA. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program offers free e-filing. You go to your nearest VITA location in person and have a volunteer complete your return. I’ve volunteered in the past; it’s a terrific program. There are also may VITA locations that offer free efiling for military personal. The VITA program targets low to moderate income, but our location did not have any income cutoffs, so it’s worth checking out.
- Tax Counseling for the Elderly. The TCE program provides free tax preparation for those 60 and older. You can call 1-800-829-1040 to find a location near you.
Now that you know all of your options, it’s time to efile!