How to Fill Out Schedule A
Before you complete the Schedule A you should gather all documentation of your deductions – receipts, forms provided to you by financial or governmental institutions, etc.
Once you have done that, fill out the Schedule A form by doing the following:
- Download the Schedule A tax form .
- Enter your name and Social Security number.
- Use the lines and instructions provided to calculate Medical and Dental Expenses, Taxes , Interest, Gifts to Charity, Casualty and Theft Losses, Job Expenses, and Miscellaneous Deductions.
- Add the deductions to arrive at your total itemized deductions and enter the total in Line 29. Note that if the amount is less than the standard deduction for your filing status , you will pay lower taxes by claiming the standard deductions instead. If you still want to claim your itemized deductions even if the standard deduction is higher, you must check the box on Line 30.
- Enter the total from Schedule A Line 29 on your form 1040, line 40.
When to Use a Tax Schedule A
Before you fill out the Schedule A, make sure you fall into one of the categories listed in “Who Should Itemize .”
2013 Schedule A Forms
The Form Schedule A 2013  is available form the IRS.
In addition, the IRS provides Schedule A instructions  to help you fill out the Schedule A form.