Do You Have to File a Gift Tax Return?

Posted by Jill on February 24, 2010

We pay lots of attention to income tax returns around here, but they’re not the only tax returns with a tax deadline on April 15th. If you made a significant gift during 2009, you will also need to file a gift tax return.

Update: The 2016 annual gift tax exclusion is $14,000.

Gift Tax Basics

In 2009 and 2010, the first $13,000 you give to any gift recipient is completely tax-free – this is called the annual exclusion. Spouses can each give $13,000 to a single recipient ($26,000 total), and you can give up to $13,000 to as many people as you want without paying taxes.

In addition, each taxpayer has a “lifetime exemption” of $1,000,000 that applies to all recipients. Once you have used up your $13,000 exclusion in a year, you start drawing against the $1,000,000 exemption. If you eventually gift more than $1,000,000 above your annual exclusion gifts, any additional gifts are subject to gift taxes of as much as 45%.

The following items are not considered gifts:

  • Transfers under the annual exclusion amount ($13,000 in 2009 and 2010)
  • Transfers to a spouse
  • Medical or tuition payments made directly to a medical or educational institution
  • Gifts to a political organization

In addition, contributions to charities are considered gifts but are not subject to taxes – if they are over $13,000, a gift tax return must be filed, but the entire amount can be deducted.

For more on gift taxes, see IRS Publication 950.

Filing a Gift Tax Return

You must file a gift tax return using IRS Form 709 no earlier than January 1 of the year after the gift was made and no later than April 15. Each individual must file their own return – there are no joint returns. You must file a gift return for 2009 if:

  • You made a gift to one person or charity exceeding $13,000
  • You and your spouse made a gift of any amount and decided to make a “split gift election,” meaning the gift is 50% from you and 50% from your spouse
  • You made a gift of a “future interest,” such as the right to use land in the future or withdraw money from a trust in a certain number of years. Future interest gifts are not eligible for the annual exclusion.

If you cannot meet the deadline for your gift tax return, you can file an extension using Form 4868.

If you have complex gift issues, or are making a large gift for the first time, it’s a good idea to work with an accountant or tax preparer to make sure you cover all your bases. Finally, if you intend to make significant gifts in the future, consider working with a financial planner to create a gifting strategy that will help you minimize gift taxes over time.

Get your biggest tax refund, guaranteed. Plus FREE Expert Tax Advice. File your Federal tax return for FREE today with TurboTax!

You can get my latest articles full of valuable tips and other information delivered directly to your email for free simply by entering your email address below. Your address will never be sold or used for spam and you can unsubscribe at any time.


Comments to Do You Have to File a Gift Tax Return?

  1. Can these gifts be to anyone or just to immediate family members? In the past, I thought the annual gift exclusion was for gifts made to family members under that year’s established threshold.

    Roger Schweigert

    • Roger,
      Annual exclusion gifts apply to anyone – you can go give $12,000 to a stranger on the street and nobody owes taxes on the money!


  2. Can I give a Gift in Feb. 2011 and write it off on my 2010 taxes?

    What is DEADLINE for giving a gift that can be included in 2010 tax filing. April 15th??

    Thank you,
    Tony Carter

    Anthony Carter

    • Tony,
      If you mean a gift to CHARITY, those are tax deductible but must be made in the year in which you wish to deduct them. In this case, if you give a gift in Feb 2011 you can deduct it on your 2011 taxes (subject to limits)

      If you mean a gift to a PERSON (which is what this article is referring to), you do not write it off – in fact, you may have to PAY taxes on it. But once again, you claim it in the year which it was paid.

      At this point, the deadline has passed for 2010 gifts/charitable contributions.


Previous article: «
Next article: »