As all the new phones roll out, most of them are not allowed to be activated on SERO. Of course, it’s not worth complaining about since the $30 plan is one of the rock bottom plans out there.
However, if you’re on SERO and you have your eye on one of the new phones (like my husband who wants Android), Sprint is introducing a cheap premium upgrade option for the Samsung Instinct, Samsung Moment, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, Palm Pixi, HTC EVO and Samsung Epic (all of which were previously banned for SERO users).
On October 1, 2010, Sprint is rolling out SERO Premium for an extra $10 per month. Here’s part of the announcement on Sprint :
As of 10/1/10, there will be two SERO Premium plans available, SERO Premium 500 at $40/month and SERO Premium 1250 at $59.99/month. SERO Premium plans will match current SERO rate plans with two added features, Any Mobile Anytime and Unlimited GPS Navigation. SERO Premium rate plans will be compatible with all devices offered by Sprint. Only customers on a current SERO rate plan as of 10/1/10 will be able to swap to a SERO Premium rate plan. 4G handsets such as HTC EVO 4G and Samsung Epic 4G will also require the $10 Premium Data add-on.
Sometimes it pays to hold out, and I’m really glad we did on this one!
Update: After getting the new Sero premium plan, I started checking out the apps. Here are my favorites: 8 Best Personal Finance Apps for Android .
Now, onto the personal finance articles of the week.
- Spousal IRA Contribution Rules 
- How to Invest in Vanguard Funds Using ETFs — and Save Money While You’re at It 
- Why the Long Term Growth of the Economy is Not Relevant to Investing 
- I Wish My Mortgage Company Was Cool Like That 
- My First Place On HGTV: How to Spend Your Next Thirty Years House Poor 
- Mortgage Protection Insurance Basics 
- Cheap Homes for Sale: Finding Local and Lucrative Real Estate Investments 
By the Numbers
- 5 Free Finance iPhone Apps That Can Save You Money 
- 6 Signs That Investment is in Bubble Mode 
- 5 Frugal Chicken Dishes You Can Make Out of One Chicken