Southwest increased their signup bonus on the Rapid Rewards Plus credit card from Chase for a limited time to 60,000 miles. It was 40,000 bonus points.
Last time we reviewed Southwest a longtime reader, Richard, sent us a survey that tested airlines for frequent flyer award seat availability. Southwest topped the list five years in a row at 100% availability; I’ll be anxious to see if they come out on top again this year.
It’s time to pick up some Southwest points for summer travel!
It’s Free Money  Friday!
How to Get Your Sign Up Bonus
- Apply for the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Plus Card*.
- Spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Get 60,000 Bonus Points, redeemable for flights or $600 in gift cards.
*Find and compare all current credit card offers in our credit card directory .
Terms and Conditions
- $69 Annual Fee.
- This product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of this credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of this credit card who received a new cardmember bonus for this credit card within the last 24 months.
- The number of points needed for any particular Southwest flight is set by Southwest and will vary depending on destination, time, day of travel, demand, point redemption rate, and other factors and is subject to change.
- No Blackout Dates and Unlimited Reward Seats apply to flights booked with points.
More on Southwest
Earning Points. Earn 2 points per $1 spent on Southwest purchases & with Southwest partners. Earn 1 point per $1 spent everywhere else. Plus, get a 3,000 point anniversary bonus every year.
Points Expiration. Your points won’t expire as long as your card is open. If you close your card, you’ll need earning activity in your account every 24 months to keep points from expiring. I use AwardWallet  to track expiration dates. See How Many Frequent Flyer Miles Do You Need to Fly for Free?  for more information.
Companion Pass. If you earn 110,000 points you will qualify for a companion pass.
Southwest Perks. Southwest doesn’t charge fees for changing flights & you can check your first two bags for free!
Rapid Rewards Premier version. The signup bonus is also increased for the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier card. The premier card has a higher annual fee but comes with 6,000 bonus points on your anniversary and no foreign transaction fees.
Chase 5/24 Rule. The Southwest card is subject to the Chase 5/24 rule. Chase limits approvals to those who have opened fewer than 5 new credit card accounts in the last 24 months. For more about the rule and how to get an approval see How to Get an Exception to the Chase 5/24 Rule .