- My Dollar Plan - https://www.mydollarplan.com -

Tax Extension Form 4868

Form 4868 is the form you must fill out if you are not able to file your federal income tax return [1] by April 15.

Form 4868 is used to file for a tax extension [2].

What is Form 4868?

By filling out the IRS form 4868, you can get an automatic 6 month extension of time to file your taxes beyond the tax deadline [3]. For your 2013 taxes, the extension deadline is October 15, 2014.

Why Would I Want to File A Tax Extension?

Some things that may make you consider filing an extension:

  • Your paperwork takes a lot of time to pull together and you want to make sure everything is done properly.
  • Incorrect forms are issued to you and you need time to get the proper forms reissued.
  • Your taxes are different than previous years and you want to make sure they are done right, i.e. you got married [4] or bought a house [5].
  • You need more time to make a solo 401k contribution to lower your tax bill [6].

Where Can I Get My 2013 Form 4868?

You can download the 2013 4868 form [7] at the IRS website.

You can also efile your IRS extension 2013 using TurboTax [8]. Just select the option to efile 4868.

The deadline to file your IRS extension form is the same as the tax deadline. Then, when you file your tax return, you will not need to attach a copy of your extension 4868 form to your tax return.

Tax Extension and Taxes Due

As a reminder, an extension for taxes only pushes back the due date for filing your taxes. If you owe money, you should estimate the amount owed, file your extension and still make your payment by April 15, 2014.