But I was even MORE thrilled when I got an offer for 2% bonus cash back during my birthday month – it makes turning 25 just a little less scary !
Discover’s new Birthday Bonus is our pick for Free Money  Friday.
How to Get Your Discover Double Cash Back Birthday Bonus
- If you don’t already have one, apply for the Discover More  card.
- Register for your birthday bonus. My birthday is in February and a link appeared on my home page when I signed into my account in late January. But it appears that you can sign up at anytime by logging into your account from this  page.
- For maximum rewards, sign up before your birthday month begins. If you sign up during your birthday month the bonus is only valid from the day you sign up forward.
- Make up to $500 worth of purchases during your birthday month. To earn the bonus, purchases must post by the last day of the month – so you need to make them at least 2 days in advance, more if the end of the month falls over a weekend.
- Allow up to five weeks for your bonus rewards to post to your account.
Birthday Bonus Terms and Conditions
- Earn 2% Cashback Bonus on up to $500 in purchases from the first day of the birthday promotion month for which you are enrolled (or the date on which you sign up, whichever is later) through the last day of that month.
- This will be in addition to any promotional Cashback Bonus you may earn.
- These purchases will not count toward your total annual purchases to determine your tier level.
Additional Birthday Bonus Offer Details
- Double Cash Back Bonus. Discover calls this a “double Cashback bonus.” But the “double” applies to the normal cash back of 1%, not the 5% rotating categories. So it’s more of a “2% bonus” than a “double bonus.”
- Spending Tiers. The 1% cash back on Discover cards actually kicks in after spending $3,000 in a calendar year – it’s unclear to me from the terms and conditions if you still get 2% cash back if you haven’t hit that threshold yet. It’s possible that you might actually get double the normal rewards of .25% on the first $3,000. Of course if you’ve already hit your $3,000, that’s not an issue!
For even more free money on your birthday, check out our list of birthday freebies !