When I used to work in the corporate world, I spent an hour commuting each day. I didn’t especially like living across town from my office, but looking back, it was probably the most valuable hour of my day. I used to brainstorm various ways to move around money to maximize retirement planning options, tax concepts, and business ideas.
I had all but forgotten about my power hours of dreaming until we went on vacation. I spent hours looking out the window and observing all the businesses along the road; it got my wheels turning again! I must have pitched a dozen outlandish business proposals to my husband as we drove.
Fast forward to today, and I have a notebook full of research for one of the new business ideas! After a week of intense planning, my new business partner and I have an end of year roll out planned. As we go, I’ll tell you all about it. In fact, I might even have an opportunity for readers to participate in it.
Is the end of year date a little ambitious? Sure. But, in all the reports about the high percentage of businesses that fail in the first two years, have we ever seen the research about how successful the business ideas were of people who sat on the sidelines?
Sometimes we have to take risks. If the business fails, at least we gave it a try. If it remains a dream, we’ll never know if it could have worked.
Have you had a business idea floating around in your head for awhile? Looking for some inspiration to implement those dreams? Here are some great articles I found while doing research last week in addition to our weekly personal finance finds:
Starting a Business
- 10 Craziest Ways People Are Making Money 
- 6 Rules of Starting a Business 
- 25 Tips by Entrepreneurs for Entrepreneurs 
- 3 Start Up Lessons I Know Now, But Wish I’d Known Then 
- Suze Orman’s Debt Loyalty List: An Order of Paying off Debt 
- Pay Off Low-Balance Debt First For A Big Mental Boost. 
- 5 Ways to Stay Out of Debt When Unemployed 
- The Best Ways to Boost Your Retirement 
- 401k Rollover To IRA: What is it and how does it work? 
- 403(b) Rollover to a Traditional IRA 
By the Numbers
- How to Improve Your Credit Score in 11 Simple Steps 
- 7 Life-Changing Vacations To Help You Regroup and Rethink 
- Four New Retirement Saving & Planning Tools?